Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Coffee and Side Tables

As was hinted in a previous post, here is what became of some of the hardwood flooring that we pulled up when installing the slate floor.

I riped off the tongue side of the wood and screwed and glued it together face-to-back (as opposed to side-to-side). The surface was pretty rough, but it planed and sanded out pretty well. I also wasn't going for a perfect surface. I wanted that expensive restoration hardware reclaimed wood look. So, a little wood filler (which gives the nail holes and flaws some character) and a few hundred passes with the belt sander and it came out exactly as I hoped it would.

I have had a little mig welder for a couple years now, but have never had much of a chance to use it in a big way. I also didn't really now how to use it, so there was a steep learning curve on this project. If I could quote a friend, "I'm not a very good welder, but I am a great grinder".

Anyway, I bought some box steel from Lowes, and kind of shot from the hip while building the bases for these. I am pretty happy with them.

I ended up being really focused on making the coffee table, and I forgot to take any pics, but I did document the making of the side tables pretty well.

Here is the table top before being urethaned:


And here is the completed table in it's place:


Here is one of the tops in its early stages:




Here it is attached to the beginning of the base:


Everything is still pretty rough here. A little more progress:


One mostly done, next to its twin:


Sanding:


And urethaning:


Coincidentally, the shelf is exactly big enough to hold my laptop. I would like to take credit for thinking of that, but it was pure luck.

All tables in there locations:



While working with the floor, I found a sticker from the original lumber yard that the wood came from: http://www.chickasawbrand.com/. So, I present the Chickasaw Collection. The casters make the coffee table really convenient for pushing away after consuming way to much food. The total cost of materials was well below $200, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than anything at Pottery Barn. Now I should have just enough wood left to build the entertainment center.

Tool Tip:





After dicking around for a few years thinking about buying one of these bits, I finally did. Totally worth it. To mount the bases to the tops I drilled a 1/4" hole in one side of the tubing, and a 1/2" on the other, and used hardened steel screws with heads big enough to pass through the big hole and mount from the inside.

Safety Tip:





Keep mineral spirit soaked rags away from wherever you are welding. I was tacking the shelf portions in place, and my left arm started to feel warm. Warmer than it should from just welding. I removed my goggles in time to see a two foot high flaming rag on my bench top. A spark from the welder must have hit it. Stupid mistake. I do have a fire extinguisher about two feet from where I was, but I was able to pick it up pretty easier with the welding gloves and throw it on the fire pit.

Stupid mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment