Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fake Book



I recently purchased a Nexus 7, and I wanted a case for it. My sister has a really nice book bound bamboo case for her iPad, but those cost around $100. The Nexus only costs $200 new. I'm not going to buy a protective cast that costs half as much as the thing it protects.

I decided to dig around some old boxes of books to see if I could find one that would make a good case. This one was the perfect size. It looks like I paid $1 for it at a used book store (probably John King). I had a little anxiety about destroying a book, but a quick Amazon search showed plenty of used copies available for around $3, so this is in no way rare. Guilt assuaged, I went to work.

I didn't take any picture of the construction, which was unremarkable. There are plenty of tutorials online about making hollow books, so Google that if you are curious. The only thing I did differently was I used wood glue instead of Elmer's, which worked really well. I then lined the pocket with felt, to keep the tablet snug and safe.





I feel like this does a good job of camouflaging the tablet, while also protecting it. This cost me practically nothing, and took about 45 minutes to make.

I also glued an insert to the front cover that basically says "I belong to a nice guy. That guy has a baby. You wouldn't want to steal something from a nice guy that has a baby, would you?". It then has a couple pics of my daughter and contact info in case someone finds it.

Wood and Bone Ring



I saw a picture of a wooden ring somewhere, and I decided to make one. I had some scraps of  brazilian mahogany laying around, so I used that. The first attempt was made out of a single piece, and was too brittle. This was the second attempt. I sandwiched two pieces around a slab of bone I cut out of a dog chew.

I kind of winged the shaping of it on the fly, and this is what I came up with. Brazilian mahogany is a really dense wood, and it polished up quite nicely on a buffing wheel.

Teener was very happy with it when I gave it to her later that night.

Monday, March 12, 2012

TV Stand

I built a TV stand. For the past 2 years our TV has "temporarily" sat on the basic stand that it comes with. I've never liked it, it sits too low, takes up too much space, is annoying to keep clean, and generally unattractive. The problem was deciding what to do about it.

Teener picked out a new rug for the back room, and a couch is on the way. Saturday she deep cleaned and sealed the floor, and put a pad under the new rug. I wasn't going to let her have a plus column day all to herself, so I decided to tackle the TV.

I purchased some angle iron, and put this together in about an hour or so:



It might not be the most attractive thing in the world, but it matches the base of the coffee and side tables. It is sort of a test of concept, and most of the frame will be hidden. My main goals where to make it simple, hide the cables, bring it to a better viewing height, and not have to drill into the walls. Also, the whole thing cost around $40 to build, which is way better than the $100 wall mounts that in my opinion rarely hold the TV back as far to the wall as I like, and still leave a lot of cable management problems.


The weather was great, and it was a perfect excuse to use the welder, angle grinder and little drill press. That's about it.