Friday, June 7, 2013


There are no small projects, although some are bigger than others.

Our store bought Play-Doh was a dried out melange of crumbly colors, and had to be thrown out. And, I never seem to remember that I need to buy more. Claire doesn't seem to understand that her dad is a dolt, and has consistently asked for some every day. So, today I got in touch with my inner-hippy-artist that was handed down to me from my mom, and we made our own.

This was the recipe we used, and I gotta say, it worked well.

Here's the dry ingredients (this is the Le Creuset dutch oven my sister got us for a wedding present. That thing works great for everything.)

After adding the water. I used the still warm water from the kettle I recently boiled for tea. It all came together a lot quicker than I expected it to.

Dough rolled out and cooling.

Quality Control Tester inspecting my work.

And now we play...

It passes the "Does it stick to windows?" test.

And it works well with the Play-Doh accessories.

So, for about 15 minutes worth of work, and a bucks worth of materials, I've managed to make a little camper pretty happy.


Monday, May 6, 2013

My wife asked me if I could build her a trellis for her beans and peas. I said sure. We talked about what she needed, and she asked if I could make if out of copper. I haven't sweated copper in quite some time, so I enjoyed practicing that skill again. We are still working on some parts of the garden, that is why there may be some unkempt areas in these photos. She still needs to lace it up with twine. Total cost was around $60 for parts. I only burned myself once.

I also made that cedar one in the background about 4 or 5 years ago.